The overall objective of ENSPOL is to help MS implement article 7 of the EE Directive by setting up, revising and implementing robust EEOs schemes or alternative policy measures while providing appropriate information and tools.
a) Specific objectives (during the action)
The ENSPOL initiative aims at the following specific objectives.
Primarily, it aims to support the implementation of the 2012/27/EU directive on energy efficiency through providing inputs directly relevant to the implementation of Article 7.
An important specific objective is to assess the relative strengths and weaknesses of EEOs and alternative measures (such as energy efficiency feed-in tariffs) based on the existing experiences and plans of MS, and subsequently, to make recommendations for the most appropriate approaches against different criteria and under different conditions. To this end, ENSPOL will also examine similar schemes outside the EU, based on the arguments that they offer good basis for comparisons (e.g. US and Australian schemes).
Secondly, ENSPOL will seek to improve the knowledge and capabilities of MS (both within and outside of the project’ partner countries) with regards to the different options available for the implementation of Article 7 (EEOs and alternative measures). To strengthen this policy objective, ENSPOL will also assess and exchange information on how best to combine obligations and innovative alternatives with more traditional, but still important, policies, including tax mechanisms and product and building standards. ENSPOL will support the implementation of EEOs and alternative measures by developing monitoring and verification guidelines in line with the requirements of the EED.
A third objective is to ensure the effective engagement of the broad range of stakeholders with an interest in the implementation of Article 7 and promote a wide consultation and knowledge exchange among policy makers and key stakeholders. Thus ENSPOL will ensure the opinions and views of all interested parties are taken into account and the pros and cons of the different options available are reflected in an objective manner. Through the wider stakeholder consultation process, ENSPOL will inform and assist different stakeholders in the participating countries to maximize the benefits to them of such schemes.
b) Strategic objectives (for the longer term to 2020)
The ENSPOL initiative aims at the following strategic objectives:
- To improve the knowledge and capabilities of MS (both within and outside of the project) with regards to the different options available for implementation of Article 7 (EEOs and alternative measures) towards the EU’ 2020 targets and in line with the 2030 incoming targets
- To ensure that energy efficiency policies make a major, long term contribution to the energy, environmental, economic and security goals of the EU and MS
- To strengthen cooperation and improve the dialogue between key stakeholders across the EU at all levels and across all relevant target groups with regards to policy development and implementation relating to Article 7 EED
- To disseminate the results among the EU MS and create and sustain (beyond the project period) an active platform for knowledge exchange on EED Article 7 (so called ‘EU Observatory’), which will be supported by National Observatories
- To facilitate Article 7 compliance in participating MS
- To support the implementation of effective EEO schemes or alternative measures in MS or adaptation of the schemes in order to increase their effectiveness